Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Crock Pot Tuesday: planned overs

 Tuesdays are always a busy day, with late afternoon appointments. A slight change in schedule yesterday, found me returning home @ 6:30 p.m. (I leave for work @ 6:20 a.m.)= a long day! No worries, since I know these are rough days, I plan ahead for easy and quick meals to get to the table. Yesterday's supper was a planned over from Sunday's roast turkey breast: a home made stew using cubed turkey, some home made turkey stock, the rest of the turkey gravy, potatoes, the rest of my carrots and parsnips, one onion, the thick base of the bunch of celery (cut up), Bell's seasoning, black pepper. The house smelled wonderful when we returned home!
All that I had to do was to mix up a corn starch slurry to thicken the gravy a bit. Done.

I served the stew with some home made bread with butter.

Later that night, I made one loaf of whole wheat and one of white:

We remain quite happy with my new procedure of using the ABM's to mix and initially rise the dough, then I shape it, place the dough in a bread pan, allow it to rise a second time in a warm oven before baking it off.

2 comments:

Shara said...

Yum! Looks great!

Marcia in rural WNY said...

I don't have any problems baking the bread in my ABM, although I do find myself making your hamburger/hot dog rolls more and more often. Not really a diet food, but they are so good. I probably make them at least once every two weeks and sometimes more often.
Bread without preservatives does dry out faster than purchased bread, but we feed birds, make bread crumbs and bread cubes if we think it will not be used.