Thursday, September 19, 2013

Crock Pot Thursday: beef and black bean chilli with Corn bread

Afterwork meeting meant planning ahead and setting up the Crock Pot last night, as well as doing a quick soak and boiling some dried, black beans until they were soft. We are all out of dried kidney beans, have about one more batch worth of dried black and then we are down to just pintos (which we like better than kidney beans) and navy beans. I do keep some cans of prepared beans (black, kidney, cannelini at the moment) in the pantry for quick meals. Knowing that dried are 1/2 the cost and naturally salt free, I gravite towards them. Never mind that we are actively eating down my pantry.



This morning, all I had to do was brown off a lb of marked down, organic beef, and add that to the awaiting Crock Pot of beans, diced tomatoes (Walmart private label), some discount off brand label Chilli seasoning, salt and pepper. This cooked all day while I was at work. Once home, all I had to do was mix up a batch of cornbread, using this favorite recipe:

http://ctonabudget.blogspot.com/2010/08/corn-bread-recipe.html

3 comments:

DW said...

Oh that's funny. It was chili day at my house too. In fact, I got DH, who was the cook, to use the can of pinto beans that's been sitting in the pantry.

Curious .. do you cook your dried beans ahead and freeze them?

CTMOM said...

DW-
I have done that. I just normally cook them the night before, if needed. Tiny kitchen fridge although I do have an upright freezer, it's filled at the moment. I also freeze homemade baked beans-some out great.
HTH

Frugal in Bucks said...

Chilli here too with rice and cheese on top. X