Friday, August 9, 2013

Making hash

A bi-annual treat at best, in this kitchen, as I only cook corned beef once or twice a year, and always on St Pats!

 I started with one diced, peeled potato per person. (*canned potatoes also work fine in this recipe! if not, boiled leftover potatoes) and some reserved fat (this is pork fat as I am out of bacon fat)
 While this is started cooking over medium heat, chop 1/2 of a large onion.
 Once potatoes are mostly soft, add the onion (or they will brown too much) and season with black pepper. I omit salt as the fat and meat have plenty, IMO.
 While the onion and potatoes are cooking, prepare the meat. I am using the leftover hunk of meat from last night's corned beef and cabbage dinner.
 Plunk the meat into the food processor.
 Grind the meat until it's in little shreds. Some prefer to hand cut into diced pieces, but with my hand arthritis, this works for me. : )
 Add the meat to the vegetables, cover and drop the heat to a med-low. Let cook through, and develop a  nice crust on the bottom.
 The finished hash, before flipping over.
And here's breakfast: traditional hash and eggs! No rye toast, unfortunately, this morning, which I love to accompany this dish. I also am known to serve hash as a dinner meal, with pork or baked beans on the side, along with cole slaw. Either meal-please pass the spicy brown mustard to accompany the hash!

3 comments:

Shara said...

Oh my goodness! That looks so good! I like my beef chopped like you did yours. I usually spend a lot of time chopping it by hand, but in the future I'll be using your technique. Thanks for sharing!

Frugal in Derbyshire said...

Corned Beef here in England comes in tins from Fray Bentos!!
As I read your method I realised that the beef was raw when you started. Is this right? or is it alrady cooked when you mince/chop it?
Gill

CTMOM said...

Frugal in Derby-
No, the meat is leftover, actually PLANNED over, cooked corned beef. I made corned beef and cabbage last night. Canned corned beef as well as canned corned beef hash (quite fatty IMO and overloaded with potatoes vs meat) are both sold here in the USA. Quite expensive, compared to the actual corned beef, which I usually only purchase in March for St Pat's as there are many loss leaders. I typically pay $1.49-$2.49/lb for it.