Thursday, August 8, 2013

I am turning into Udy with a J!

We're off the menu plan today, as I didn't want yet another chicken dish AND I hope to remove the larger pieces of meat out of my standing freezer, to improve air circulation and avoid another frost build up. Having grown up with only chest freezers, this is a learning curve for me. Anyone with tips to share?

Meanwhile my week has been like this:

Mon: Crock Pot rotisserie style chicken and fixings
Tues: Crock Pot beef cubes with tomato over rice
Wed: Crock Pot marinara with home made Italian meatballs, served over spaghetti
Tonight: Crock Pot corned beef, cabbage, potatoes, carrots

I've never used a CP to make corned beef, so this is an experiment. Funky weather. You hear thunder, it's cloudy, but no rain. Then the sun comes out. More and more humid, too. Supposed to get storms today and tomorrow.

Meanwhile,  I am counting on leftovers for hash in the morning, with eggs. :)

3 comments:

Shara said...

Yum! I loved corned beef hash and cabbage. It is on our menu for this weekend. I cook the cabbage separate because daughter won't eat it.

Marcia in rural WNY said...

I've mnade it in the crockpot before and it turns out fine. It's not one of DH's favorites so once or twice a year is about our limit. It's a bit salty for my low sodium diet anyhow.

Today I found some rib steaks on sale--something I don't buy but once a year or so. Didn't even love it like I used to, but did save the bones and the balance of my steak to make some beef and barley soup--tomorrow if I have time! Even if we don't eat the soup right away, it will keep in the freezer until we do.
I find the standing freezer much easier to find things in than the old chest freezer was, although I never seem to have as much space. Probably the chest really WAS bigger, though. My DD and SIL recently bought a small freezer (as DGD is a senior in college and they don't expect her to reclaim her bedroom,) they are using it for storage.)and are amazed at the savings they get just on buying meat on sale instead of as they need it. They've made do with top of the fridge freezer since they've been married. It's helping their budget enormously!

CTMOM said...

Marcia
I'd switch the recipe around a bit. I followed it to a T, placing the potatoes and carrots on the bottom, then the beef. After 4 hours, I added the cabbage (which took more like 1 1/2 hours to cook) I'd stick the meat on the bottom then layer the spuds/carrots and I'd add the cabbage sooner. Came out fine. Yes, we, too, only eat this 1-2 times/year. I managed to serve just 3 slices of meat per person, and have a good piece leftover for hash in the morning.