Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Hubbard squash puree: round one


Here's how I've used about 1/2 of the hubbard squash puree from one of the containers I made yesterday: my Pumpkin-spice-chocolate chip muffins, just substituting the squash for pumpkin and using self rising flour instead of AP flour and baking powder. I also used the stewed prune syrup as part of the sweetening.



 As expected, the batter was more loose than usual, so the extra batter was baked in a small broiler pan base that is for my table top, convection oven. I will frost it with the rest of the now lurking tub of crash and burn frosting that I recently opened. With such a small fridge, it pushes me to get things out of there quickly.
Since the oven was hot, another batch of Magic Cookie bars was baked as well today.

2 comments:

Shara said...

Yum! I have a squash plant growing that we think is acorn squash. It came up voluntarily. If it produces anything I'll try using it as I would pumpkin.

CTMOM said...

Shara,
Yes, any Winter squash, pureed, is an easy substitute for pumpkin. Acorn squash is great baked as de-seeded halves, with a pat of butter and some maple syrup poured into the hollowed out well. Also can be stuffed and baked-either a meat mixture or strictly vegetarian as a side dish as well. I also have an acorn squash ring (cut squash as rings, not a bundt cake!) recipe.
let me know if interested, and I'll post it