Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Freezer maintenance and today's baking

Last night, we discovered that the top shelf inside of the upright freezer I bought less than a year ago, was a bit warmer than I'd like. So, I removed everything and we found that the lowest shelf area had some ice/frost build up over the vents located on the backwall of the freezer. Heat rises so this makes sense. The frost was removed, food returned to the unit, taking care not to block any of the vents. As of this morning, the temp has dropped significantly, but there is room for improvement. I'll give it 24 hours before I panic.

Meanwhile, I dug out 2 small pkgs of my many cranberries and just mixed up a double batch of cranberry bread, now baking. The inspiration was finding that the OJ this morning tasted a bit sour, like it's going.. It's mixed up fresh every few days and the new to us, small kitchen fridge is working (temp wise) just fine. Maybe a bad batch?  Shrug. Trying to use it up before it is a waste.

Here's my recipe:

http://ctonabudget.blogspot.com/2010/11/cranberry-nut-bread-recipe.html

2 comments:

mother noah said...

If you think the orange juice has gone off my advice is to throw it away . I once had severe vomiting and diarrhoea after drinking some dodgy orange juice . Will never make that mistake again

CTMOM said...

to be clear, the OJ in question came from the refrigerator freezer, not the standing freezer. Not rotten by any means, just seemed a bit sour. I took a sip this morning, then set it aside for baking. No ill effects. : )