Wednesday, August 14, 2013

For Lili: making poultry burgers

 Lili-here are my ingredients tonight: in the bowl, I grated 1 large carrot, added buttered toast from bfst that someone didn't want and some buttered bread as a snack (same issue)-both were whirled together in the food processor to make crumbs, 1 egg, white worcestershire sauce, black pepper, Mrs Dash table ready, dried minced onion, 3 mushrooms that also took a spin in the food processor. I blended this all together first, then gently folded the 1 lb pkg of ground chicken.
 Let the mixture rest.
 Pam spray a skillet and place your formed patties in it. I could have easily made these 5, but college boy opted out of dinner.
 Once first side is golden, flip the patties
 Cover and steam cook the second side

The patties get puffy, and very juicy!

Flip again, cover again for a few more minutes to give the first side more color, as needed.

I even used the warmth of the cast iron lid to "steam" the defrosted buns.

Here's my burger-see how tall they become? yum!

4 comments:

Shara said...

Yum! We had veggie burgers tonight. For sides I served some of my home canned baked beans and an eggplant that was given to us.

Lili said...

Okay, when I have grocery money again in September, I'm going to see if the wholesaler still has great prices on ground chicken and give this a try. It would be a nice change from some of our other meals. I would think a gravy would be wonderful on the patties, too!

Thanks for posting!

CTMOM said...

Lili
I also use this basic recipe to make mini chicken meatballs, which I drop into gently simmering, home made chicken/turkey broth that already has tiny diced carrot, celery and onion in it. I use a melon baller to make this mini meatballs and note that I drop them into the broth RAW. They will sink to the bottom of the soup pot, and rise to the top when cooked. So tender. The kids especially love this soup. I guess it's my version of "chickarina" soup that Progresso sells. I often also add small pasta such as egg pastine.
Since you are not sure if this would go over with your family, I suggest getting one pkg and seeing how it goes. : )

Home and Garden said...

hello
mmh that looks delicious.thanks for the recipe.
blessings regina