Saturday, August 3, 2013

Avoiding food waste

Just what IS this anyway? I've finished off a jar of stewed "breakfast prunes" that were lurking in the fridge. Good to use them up, got a great jar for repurposing. I stopped myself, however, from tossing out the "juice" from the jar. After reading the label, as I suspected, it contains corn syrup, a form of sugar, so I've saved this juice for making an upcoming batch of muffins. Using Tightwad Gazette's basic muffin recipe, I should be able to easily incorporate this into a recipe, reducing the sugar added to the batter, as a result. I am thinking a spice muffin of some sort, perhaps date, or apple sauce.

4 comments:

Shara said...

Sounds good!

laura sampson said...

having our own pigs means all these tasty bits go to the pigs to fatten them up--right now they're on an Alaska grown feed that has no corn or gmos and is mostly barley wheat and spent grains---so we supplement all we can--in the winter this is how I roll

Nancy said...

Carol: I believe there might be a muffin recipe in my copy of Grandma's Wartime Kitchen or Grandma's Wartime Baking that I can share with you that uses this concept, replacing sugar with fruit juice. I'd be happy to check it out and share with you.

CTMOM said...

Nancy,
Yes, please do, I'd appreciate that! It just seemed like a waste to throw that syrup water down the drain. My sugar stores are low, I'm replacing things just as I need them right now.