Friday, August 9, 2013

Austerity August: arroz con pollo

 Use it up theme continue. I started by placing some reserved chicken fat in my Dutch oven, along with a wrinkly 1/2 of a green pepper, and the remaining 1/2 of an onion.
 While that sauteed, I peeled and later cut up 5 potatoes (1 per person)
 Leftover carrots to be sliced up, a to be drained can of Mexicorn, and 1 can of diced tomatoes with jalapeno (I thought I'd use 2 cans, ended up with just 1) The corn was an Aldi's clearance and the tomatoes were a crash n burn find
 I then cubed up the bulk (still some left) of Monday's roast chicken.
 I added 2 pkts of Goya azafran and 4 cups home made chicken stock. Brought this up to a gentle boil
 Covered it and let the veg and chicken cook together for 10 minutes. I then added 2 cups white rice and covered it again for another 30.
Last step: stir in 1/2 a bag of fzn peas, recover and let it steam cook a few minutes. DONE!

Very tasty and well received. I ended up making too much (at DD's request) since unknown to us, her BF who is visiting already ate supper before coming. So, I have an emergency meal plus a small lunch meal in the freezer.

No comments: