Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Austerity August, and use what is on hand theme continues


One item recently unearthed from the upright freezer, was a gallon baggie of  organic, precooked, hubbard squash from last year's CSA. If you aren't familiar with them, here's an image:

They are a gray-green, large squash that many here use as Fall decorations on steps. It's an old fashioned squash, which my grandmother used to cut in half, lengthwise, scoop out the seeds, and then stuff the "well" of each squash half with a ground beef-rice-tomato-veg mixture and then bake it off. My Dad used to call this "Depression dinner" so I am guessing that it reigns from that time period.

Regardless, this gallon bag (and I still have another) was intended to be used over time in stews and soups. Obviously, that never happened and this needs to be used up. It was a lot of work to peel, cube this squash, so we have to use it.

It is used much like pumpkin, and I intend to bake with it tomorrow, so I defrosted it, and pureed it in my food processor:

I have several ideas in mind. Stay tuned.

5 comments:

Marcia in rural WNY said...

Those squash are SO hard to peel. I have had my husband throw them from the top of the cellar stairs onto the cement floor to break them open before. The past few years, I buy a 1/2 bushel of butternut squash in fall when they are $7-8 a half and I cook, mash, and freeze them and then bag them for winter. By freezing in the small containers I heat them in, the frozen disc will go right back into the container and into the oven and be served in it as well. (French white) Saves money, gets the mess over with all at once, and we do like the mashed squash all year round. I used to mix Blue Hubband and Butternut when my friend had excess in her garden, or my uncle brought some from his. Good taste when you mix them.

Lili said...

I know it's just August, but I am already looking forward to squash. I used up the very last of frozen pumpkin earlier this week, and now have to wait until late September. And the "Depression dinner" actually sounds quite yummy!

Judy S said...

I had to laugh at this one because my grandmom used to make the same thing and stuff it with whatever meat or veggies were around. We still make it to this day. It filling and the kids grew up on it so it doesnt phase them. I do it with zuchinni(sp) also

Shara said...

I haven't seen these grown locally. We do grow Cushaw (sp?) squash, but call them by a local name. We use them grated in puddings and breads. Pureed they go into a pudding, pies or bread. We love them.o

Nancy said...

I remember my mom struggling to peel those squash every Thanksgiving until she realized it is far easier to use Butternut and the flavor is almost identical.