Tuesday, August 13, 2013

A home made birthday celebration




This afternoon, I mixed up a batch of chocolate butter cream frosting, using this basic recipe:

http://savorysweetlife.com/2011/04/chocolate-buttercream-frosting/

It came out very good, as I suspected. I've been making butter cream for years, sometimes using a butter-cream cheese blend.

Earlier, I had made a scratch chocolate cake and let it cool while I was out at medical appointments. Once home, and the frosting completed, I set about to assembling the birthday cake:

 I first made a layer of seedless, black berry jam on the top of layer # 1, then topped that with some sweetened coconut. I am known for these type of fillings in my cakes.
Here's the completely frosted cake, decorated with the traditional non pareil sprinkles. DD will be happy!

(this cake would have cost me at least $20 at the local grocer's)

Her actual birthday gift will be coming late this year, as we await a fabric order so that a custom wristlet wallet can be made for her, by Carla up in Canada. I commissioned her twice now for myself,and know that DD will be pleased with her gift. (http://halfdozendaily.typepad.com/my-half-dozen-daily/)

2 comments:

Shara said...

Beautiful! I love chocolate cake.

Lili said...

Now that's what I want for breakfast! Yum!
I made cherry preserves that came out a bit runny, and I'm saving to go between cake layers. I love fruity tastes with chocolate cake.

Baking birthday cakes is the smart way to save money. They always taste better (than grocery store cakes) anyways. And if you buy a bakery cake, you don't get to lick the spoon! Plus, you've freed up money for other parts of your celebration. Way to go, mom!