Sunday, July 14, 2013

Use it up July's Sunday supper

 Today's inspiration: the leftover pkg of fzn ground pork, not used at Christmas for my meat pies. Time for this to go! So,I intentionally picked up some extra ground beef at Aldi's to make a meatloaf
 Eggs, instant milk, freshly grated Parmesan, chopped onion, chopped celery, black pepper, Bell's seasoning, Italian seasoning, homemade cereal/cracker crumbs, homemade bread crumbs, water all came together for this recipe. Now turned into a Pam sprayed, glass baking dish, the meatloaf was shaped and then covered with ketchup.
Saving electricity while not adding heat to the kitchen, I am using my Crock Pot bake method to cook this today. It was put on very early, and will "bake" on low all day.

 Here's the cooked meatloaf
and first slice-held together well.

Sides will be leftover rice pilaf (instead of the originally intended mashed potatoes), sauteed Swiss chard, a large tossed salad with choice of homemade dressing. Tonight's dinner will also provide sandwich fillings for later on this week.

2 comments:

Blissfulbutterfly said...

I too made a meatloaf the other night in the crockpot so I wouldn't have to turn on the oven and to save electricity. However, I didn't put the meat in a loaf pan first, I just shaped it into a loaf. When it was done it completely fell apart when I took it out to slice it up. It was just a mushy mess. I didn't have eggs though so I used an eggless version that I found online. I'm not sure if it was because of that or from the condensation (it wasn't crispy on top at all). Maybe I'll try this method next time and hopefully the meat will stay together.

CTMOM said...

Bliss
I do add a bit of extra bread/cracker crumbs when baking it off in the crockpot vs the oven, as the texture is more moist, due to the condensation vs having the aforementioned moisture from veggies, milk etc simply evaporate off while being baked in the oven. I always use a loaf pan in the CP, never have tried it without, although some I know have, with success. The top will form a ketchup "crust" but it won't be as crispy as when baked in the oven.
HTH