Monday, July 15, 2013

Salad dressings

 I usually make my own vinaigrette from scratch for pennies compared to bottled dressing. A nice luxury, has been to occasionally purchase Good Seasons salad dressing mix. The last box I know was purchased using a doubled coupon. Still, pretty pricey stuff, especially when one considers that I have an intense spice and herb collection! An alternative that we recently tried and liked, is Aldi's version of GS. A bit more of a basil undertone, it make a nice dressing. For both brands, however, I remain concerned about the amount of salt contained in these packets.
 Salad is again on the menu today, and I needed to mix up some more Italian dressing. I used the rest of a bottle of Imported Shoprite EVOO that I got at one of their Can-Can sales, but needed more. I also used some pom. infused red wine, purchased by combining a sale with a coupon.
 I rinsed out and attempted to clean out the now empty EVOO bottle, eventually deciding that it needs a run thru the dishwasher tonight. I plan on repurposing this bottle (I've since recycled the plastic bottle diffuser located at the opening of the bottle)for homemade tomato French salad dressing. It's a nicely squared off bottle that will fit well in the door of the fridge.
I was able to shop my pantry for another bottle of EVOO. I knew that I would be running out soon, but a recent quick trip to IGA for a few things didn't yield any decent prices, even with large coupons. I'll try Stop and SHop, Xpect/Marc's if not Aldi's to replenish the pantry. I like to be one bottle ahead on frequently used items like oil, as I hate having to pay whatever because I am out of an ingredient.

So we're set on Italian dressing and there is one more GS packet left (found buried in the cabinet) and then I am out. I am looking for a make it yourself mixture that I can store in a jar, and mix up as needed. The Internet is great for stuff like that, I am pretty certain that I'll find a copycat recipe somewhere.

3 comments:

Nancy said...

Carol I have a great Italian recipe, not a make ahead, but it only takes seconds to throw together: 1/4 cup vinegar (I prefer white balsamic, but cider or white wine work too), 1/2 cup oil (canola or olive), 1 tsp. Italian blend seasoning, 1 tbl. sugar, 2 cloves garlic, pressed).

CTMOM said...

Nancy, I'll have to try your recipe, thanks!

Marcia in rural WNY said...

I don't even use a recipe for vinegrette---just oil and vinegar, and whatever spices appeal to me that day, usually garlic and basil at the least, sometimes oregano or even some mixed "Italian seasoning mix." Also like to sub balsamic vinegar or red wine vinegar for white from time to time. The proportion of oil to vinegar is anywhere from 2:1 up to 1:1, as DH prefers less vinegar, more oil! He likes balsamic, but has an aversion to tasting most other vinegars, although he eats things that contain vinegar if he doesn't know it's there---I think it just tastes too strong to him, really. I make all salad dressings except for Ranch or bleu cheese, which I keep on hand for DD and DGD--we don't care for those two ourselves!