Wednesday, July 24, 2013

I made a zucchini mushroom!

This afternoon, I made a zucchini mushroom in a 2 lb ABM! I suspected that this was a lot of flour, so not surprised that it exploded. My inspiration was using zucchini, the rest of my whole wheat flour. From The cooks encyclopedia of Bread machine baking, 2001:

Zucchini country grain bread

7 Tbsp buttermilk
1 cup water
1 1/3 cup grated zucchini
4 1/2 cups bread flour
1 cup wheat flour
2 Tbsp sunflower seeds
2 Tbsp pumpkin seeds
1 Tbsp millet seeds* I had none of these last 3 seeds ingredients, so I substituted oats
2 tsp salt
2 tsp sugar
1/4 cup butter *used margarine
1 1/2 tsp yeast
water to coat, corn meal for sprinkling

Layer all ingredients (except last 2) in ABM. Take care to place sugar, salt and butter in separate corners. Make a small well in center of mix, place yeast. Set machine to basic, med. crust. Just before baking cycle begins, brush with water and sprinkle corn meal over the top.

This makes a very soft bread, suitable for sandwiches, which was my aim. I'll trim down the mushroom loaf for sandwiches later on this week.

No comments: