Thursday, July 18, 2013

I love it when I think ahead

Moving out, post divorce, meant going thru the marital home, and taking what I thought I could use for my new residence. Recently, the stove oven bulb burnt out (unfortunately, it also broke off when DD tried taking the burnt one out for me-I'll have to deal with that). I knew that I took an appliance bulb when I did, as they are a handy thing to keep on hand, and can be pricey. After a quick look, I couldn't find it, which later led me to pull out all of the boxes that the home energy audit gave back to me, with my old, regular lightbulbs inside. I pulled each one out, wrote down what it actually was in wattage (these are all swirly lightbulb boxes) and unearthed my spare appliance bulb which, as luck would have it, is the exact one I need at the moment (once I figure out how to get the stuck metal base out of the socket)

This is a small thing, but every purchase, or lack of purchase counts right now!

6 comments:

janie said...

Not sure if it works, but read somewhere to use a potato. Cut in half and push and turn.

Never tried it though.

Susan said...

You can use a potato to remove the broken bulb. Here's a YouTube video that shows how to do it.
http://youtu.be/Y0QjfD0LVH8

Tanner said...

That's always a nice find with those smaller items. Nothing quite as irritating as having to go back to the store for something you knew you had, but got rid of. And most of the time, you end up having to buy quantity packets when all you needed was one!

Carol Lane said...

Carol, turn off the power to that light socket and use a pair of needle nose type powers spread out in the socket for leverage and the bulb end should come out. I have heard of sticking a raw potato in the socket to remove the bulb end out too. Good luck.

Shara said...

I do it the same way Carol Lane mentions. Just make sure you unplug the stove.

mikemax said...

I haven't had much luck with potatoes, but needle nose pliers easily did the job. Just remember to unplug the appliance first!