Saturday, July 13, 2013

Bedding on a budget

 DD has moved back home, and we needed to get a bed for her. First stop: Habitat for Humanity, where I bought this vintage, Baumritter, solid Maple twin bed with metal rails and side slats: $40 plus tax. A comparable one was found on Ebay for $499.
 A real gem, to be sure! Very happy with this find. Perfect price, and proceeds go to a worthwhile charity.

I did spring for a new mattress and box spring at Sleepy's. Luckily, the salesman was reasonable and listened to my criteria. While I didn't necessarily want the cheapest option, I wasn't about to spend a small fortune either. He worked out that I was able to purchase a Sealy  boxspring, a Simmons mattress-both are in their overstock, clearance warehouse in the city, and have been set aside. Since I drive an econo car, my choice was to pay $100 for delivery, pay $30 to pick up at the store, pay $0 and pick it up at the warehouse. My friend drives a big Suburban, and we'll pick up the mattress and boxspring on Wed, directly from the warehouse. : )
 We decided that she needed a set of warm flannel sheets, as the area she will be habiting is not insulated, and should we elect to move her to a corner of my huge room during the worst of Winter, it's still cold in there at night. L L bean bottom sheet was found at Salvation Army $1.99. It retails for $20.
 I also got the matching set of 2 flannel LLBean pillow cases @ 99 each. Retail for $22. We didn't have a top sheet, and although there was a matching flannel, LLBean duvet cover also at Salvation Army, there were some significant holes, so I passed, knowing that we could find a coordinating top sheet somewhere else, which we did.
 Savers this time, for  a Home Classics sock monkey print top sheet, which retails for $15. All of the bedding is in new/like new condition.
 A cotton, thermal blanket was on the list and I bought a really nice, heavy weight one at Savers for $12.99. Retails for $170 on Amazon.
Someone lovingly made this floral, knit afghan which coordinates perfectly with the navy blue comforter that DD brought home from college. I always keep an extra layer on the beds in the cooler months, and this seems like a nice, warm one. Love the colors on it! I paid $2.99 at Salvation Army.

These are all being laundered and machine dried, which is my protocol on second hand items, to avoid any possible "issues" coming into the home.

I think we did very well in outfitting DD so far with her new bed. We have plenty of cotton sheets to select from, so that was not on our list. I'd still like to find a warm, wool blanket or a heavy, spun polyester Chatham brand type blanket for her as well.

No comments: