Sunday, May 5, 2013

Happy cinco de Mayo!

Tonight's cinco de Mayo inspired dish: arroz con pollo, the recipe taught to me by our former, Colombian nanny. 6 chicken drums (marked down, frozen), rice, homemade chicken stock, C & B Mexicorn as well as "rotel style" tomatoe, spices will be called into service to complete this one pot dish that is wonderful for those on a budget!
Remove skin from chicken, disgard. Take out reserved chicken fat for pan frying.


Brown the meat
 Meanwhile, take out salt/pepper, a Goya azafran packet, 1 cup rice, 2 cups homemade stock
 Season meat with salt/pepper, add stock to pan along with Goya packet. Bring to a low boil and stew 20 minutes, covered.

Move chicken to one side of Dutch oven
Add zesty tomatoes, rice, Mexicorn


as well as one carrot per person, chopped

 Cover and let cook another 20 minutes, then add 1/2 a bag of fzn peas, cover 5 minutes. Stir gently to combine vegetables into rice.
Here's DS's dinner plate. Per request, I removed the meat off of the bone before serving.

3 comments:

Nancy said...

I just made almost this exact recipe, given to me by the Spanish teacher at school who hales from Venezuela! She gave me a great tip to make this quickly, use an already roasted chicken from the grocery store and cut the meat from the bone. She said her family like your son prefers it boneless. She also recommended Goya's Sayzon seasoning with azafran. It was yummy and I have that on my menu plan for this month as well!!!

Frugal in Bucks said...

That looks great. Will try this in my slow cooker.

Thanks.
X

Precious said...

Yum! I haven't had this since I was in AZ. Thanks for sharing.