Thursday, April 25, 2013

Taking a page out of Frugal Queen's book: bolognese sauce

Today, I am giving Frugal Queen's bolognese sauce recipe a go: http://frugalincornwall.blogspot.com/2013/01/the-frugal-weight-watcher.html

 Step one: place 2 large onions, 3 carrots, 1/2 a bunch of celery (I was lacking in that area, just a few tired sprigs left!). I also added some marked down mushrooms that had to go, along with a large, marked down, red pepper, 3 cloves garlic from my organic CSA
 This is what it looks like when done. I love the idea of bulking this sauce out with vegetables, over meat, and the method of employing a food processor for the chopping
 Step 2: brown the vegetables along with ground beef. I did add a bit of Canola oil to the Dutch oven first
 Add the spices, 29 oz can tomato puree, a pint jar of home canned, organic CSA tomatoes
 Here's the sauce, ready to start to simmer
Since I still had some red wine, a good splash of that went in as well. It smells wonderful. This will top  penne rigati, an assortment of leftover vegetables on the side.

 Here's my casserole dish, before topping it with the rest of a bag of 5 Italian blend shredded cheese
 To conserve energy, I used the table top, convection oven
 1/2 the sauce went into the freezer for another meal

My assortment of leftover veggies: corn, asparagus, chard

4 comments:

Attila said...

I always add a couple of handfuls of porridge oats to this, they soon disappear. Also it can be cooked in a slow cooker/crockpot.

Frugal in Bucks said...

That looks lovely. I have done the same recipe but not with the wine, I bet that gives it a kick.

FIB. X

SheilaPCT said...

Looks good! How was it? I like to add zucchini or summer squash if I have those to use up.

CTMOM said...

Sheila, this is an excellent sauce, will definately make it again. Love that the chopping is minimized by pulsing thru in a food processor, which means that I can hide veggies in this sauce. the minced veggies also bulk out the sauce. I only used a lb pkg, yet a 6 serving dish of ziti and another large meal's worth awaits in the freezer, were made. Good economy in the kitchen.