Friday, April 12, 2013

Friday-soup!

 Terribly cold, raw, rainy day-feels worse after a few beautiful, warm, Spring days! Tonight's menu quickly became soup. I dug out 2 quarts of homemade poultry stock out of the freezer and nuked them to melt them, but first removed the hardened layer of fat from the top, and melted that to saute off my mirepoix of 3 carrots, 3 sprigs celery and the remaining 1/2 of a large onion.
 Once tender, I added the 2 jars of stock.
 I added my last quart of organic, CSA home canned tomatoes.Now time to see what else I could toss in . . .
 leftover steamed organic, CSA kale, leftover corn. Additional water, chicken bouillon instead of salt, pepper, French tarragon

I checked the vegetable drawer: I removed a head of cauliflower that was starting to go-trimmed it off, and yes, used the whole thing.
Added the rest of a bag of No Yolks Kulski soup noodles and that's it. Soup made for a fraction of what the  canned or frozen stuff goes for, never mind the Deli counter. Leftovers used up along with vegetables that have seen better days. Avoiding food waste is key to keeping my food budget low.

3 comments:

Marcia in rural WNY said...

Same idea but mine was even easier---the freezer door was accidently left open yesterday, so DH brought up a frosty looking container of homemade soup last night. It turned out to be sausage/lentil and we had it w/toast and pumpkin bread. I had been out all day, so it was much apppreciated that I only had to heat the soup and dinner was served.

Shara said...

Yum, we had soup last night, too. We tried a new to us recipe for Spicy Bean and Ham soup. Uses a ham bone for the meat portion and I kept costs low by using dried beans instead of canned.

CTMOM said...

I ended up feeding college boy and 3 CB friends-they can EAT! No issues, good, healthful, and HOT meal on an awfully raw night. THey really appreciated it, each having at least 2 or 3 bowls! I guess it was good! ; )