Saturday, April 20, 2013

Calling all quilters!


I've been going through my sewing supplies, sadly, I STRONGLY suspect that the manual to my beloved Freecycle zig zag sewing machine got thrown out. : (     Can't find it anywhere. Sigh. Meanwhile, I have straightened out my fabrics, grouped them together to see just what I have. I am getting ready for my first quilting project,and need some suggestions. I like the idea of making blocks and later sewing those together, to form the actual quilt. I have some batting to use as an insulator, an old, super soft, flannel sheet for a backing. Thread on hand. Great! So here are my pinks. Note the old skirt that I need to cut down.


 My reds which include cotton sheet remenants, old waitressing dresses of my grandmother. Lots of memories there.

Yellows also include the remains of a cut up sheet

 My light blues, including a dress I tore apart during a week long power outage, an old sheet
 Darker blues
 Olive twill pant cut offs
 My tan and browns which include alot of pant cut offs as well

Black and white, including more waitressing dresses from my Grandmother.

So quilters, any tips on how to approach doing blocks (nothing too fancy, this is a get it done project)? I do have a cutting mat, rotary cutter and ruler.

3 comments:

Frugal Queen said...

Hi - Make your own charm squares - cut 5" strips and then cut them every 5" to make 5 by 5 blocks. Go to Youtube and Missouri star quilt company and look for disappearing nine patch = so easy and a lovely pattern xx

bbarna said...

I agree with Froogs. 5" squares make the most of the fabric and the disappearing nine patch is a great block. I have also made lots of scrap quilts by just sewing together the 5" squares in a scrap mishmash.
Happy quilting
Barb

Nutbird said...

Go to your library and check out a few quilting books. The twill from your pants shouldn't be mixed with the lighter calico type fabric. Twill is very hard to sew on.. Save that for throw pillows. Are you only filling it with an old sheet? If so, find some batting. You need to have the most stuffing, or it's not worth making. You can usually find batting at garage sales. When you tie the squares together, i.e., the backing, the stuffing, the top piece, use a big needle, like a needle for yarn. I use embroidery thread or crochet thread. Take a stitch through all layers every 8 to 10 inches. Tie a square knot, then clip the ends. Leave at least two inches for the ends. Eventually you will want to trim these after a year or so. Someone at your school must quilt. Ask around. Ann