Sunday, April 21, 2013

$4??? Egads!

I recently bought a loaf of Sara Lee white bread, which was advertised as on sale at 2/$5. I had a 75 cent coupon which the store would double, so I got this "junky white bread" as a treat if you will, for Mr Picky for PB & J. It cost me $1. Fine. I was shocked as I moved the loaf over on the counter, to learn that this retails for $4/loaf? Huh?? It's far from made of gold!  This is what many would consider a staple. If bread is running $4/loaf, it's no wonder that many are struggling to get food on the table. Since I've been making the bulk of our bread/rolls (unless found on marked down) for several years now, I've been out of the loop on bread prices. Once seeded sandwich rolls hit over $4, I learned to use an ABM or stock up on marked downs. Sadly, local bakery/bread thrift stores have also closed in recent years, a former source of bread/rolls for me.

5 comments:

Donna said...

I have to buy gluten-free bread @4.99 for a small loaf but it will last me 4 to 5 weeks since I keep it in the refrigerator.

Marcia in rural WNY said...

I make my own as well, but I can easily believe those prices. My store had ciabatta rolls on sale last week, 4/$2.99. I looked at them and they were not very large, thought about it and left them there. It is a favorite of ours, but I can get six for $3 something at Sam's Club, and they are larger rolls. I only use halves for garlic toast, and some sandwiches. As we get older (70 and 71) our caloric needs diminish and half of a sandwich with a piece of fruit is often enough of a lunch for us. Similarly, our meat servings are not as large as they used to be either. Saving money and saving calories at the same time is good all the way around.

Precious said...

Those prices are why I make my own. Mine tastes better too.

SheilaPCT said...

I think it's all in where you shop. I notice stop and shop prices and shop rite are going up a LOT, for non sale items. I bought 3 loaves of Italian white bread at Aldi for $4.17 total the other day. They were all out of wheat bread.

CTMOM said...

Sheila,
Hands down, ALdi's is the place to shop for decent prices, over all. I make m own bread for much less,and I like knowing what is in it. Sometimes, I luck out on marked downs at S & S, but I don't count on them.