Sunday, March 3, 2013

Sunday supper: meatloaf and mashed potatoes








Sunday supper tonight accomplishes several of my goals: eat what is on hand, start eating more out of the freezer, use it up, make substitutions with what is on hand, as necessary. Ingredients: 1 lb each ground beef, ground turkey; 2 eggs, freshly grated Parmesan cheese, the rest of my homemade Italian seasoned bread crumbs, cornflake crumbs, instant milk, water, black pepper, Bell's seasoning. Chilli sauce to top. 


In lieu of fresh vegetables, organic CSA peppers (later chopped smaller), chopped celery, chopped scallions. These frozen assets really come in handy this time of year. I was down to my last onion; I was so pleased to discover during my food inventory yesterday, that in addition to instant onion, I have fzn chopped leeks, scallions on hand as substitutes. Time to use them up!




So I knew that I didn't have enough bread crumbs, no bother, what can I substitute? How about that lurking box of crash n burn corn flakes that the twins have had no interest in? I only paid $1.39 for a huge 18 oz box (cereal certainly has shrunk!) a few months ago. Looking at the nutrition facts, this was a poor choice on my part as there is only 1 gram of fiber per serving and my go to fiber content is 4 grams (equal to what is found in oats), so we do need to use this up! I whirled the contents thru the food processor, used what I needed for the meatloaf, the rest is decanted into the repurposed mayo, screw top, plastic container that formerly housed the homemade Italian bread crumbs. These crumbs will reappear in meat coatings, meatballs, if not another meatloaf. Good. Box was recycled, the wax baggie stored in my empty tissue box that corrals sandwich bag possibilities (these larger bags are also wonderful for homemade "shake and bake" type recipes. I love to repurpose something that many would automatically toss and then grab for a paid for plastic bag. This is a green effort as well as one of the many ways that I save my pennies, which DO add up!)

Prepared meatloaf is now in my "Pam" sprayed meatloaf pan (the assembly is 2 cans that nest on inside the other, with the smaller pan containing drainage holes all along the sides to wick away the fats. Mom gave this to me years ago; I highly recommend it.) I am "Crockpot baking" today, using my larger, Freecycle acquired, oval Crockpot as a type of mini oven. Meatloaf comes out great: nice and moist, and I use significantly less electricity in the process)





Sides tonight: homemade mashed potatoes, Creole cabbage, steamed carrots. I am using up older vegetables in the process, but still have plenty of cabbage, carrots for the month. I will need to finish up the long in the tooth spuds on hand before I buy replacements, unless a phenomenal deal comes my way. With St Pat's on the horizon, these veggies (along with corned beef) will soon be on special.

I have some planned overs to make tomorrow(Mon) go smoother: extra carrots and extra mashed potatoes.

Creole cabbage
by Joanne Lamb Hayes
Grandma’s Wartime kitchen
2 Tbsp bacon fat
1/4 cup thinly sliced onion
1/2 cup thinly sliced green pepper
1 15 oz can stewed tomatoes
1 1/2 tsp brown sugar
salt to taste
2 whole cloves studded into 1 clove garlic
1 bay leaf
1 medium sized cabbage, coarsely chopped
In a heavy skillet, melt fat. Saute onions and pepper until the onion is golden
Add in tomatoes, studded garlic clove, bay leaf, salt, brown sugar and bring to a boil over medium Simmer, uncovered 15 minutes, stirring occassionally
Meanwhile, cook cabbage in boiling water just until tender. Drain well and add to tomato mixture. Discard garlic and bayleaf. Toss well to combine. Serve hot.



My dinner plate, missing the ketchup I used on the meatloaf.

3 comments:

Shara said...

I made turkey meatloaf last night and we'll be eating the leftovers tonight. I'll be turning leftover cornbread (from yesterday) into a stuffing type dish and I'm pretty sure I'll be serving roast Brussels sprouts and carrots with it.

Belinda said...

Sounds delicious, Carol. I was going to make meatloaf, but ended up making meatballs instead.

Good planning, as usual, on your part to use up what you have on hand. :)

CTMOM said...

Belinda,
I am looking forward to a meatloaf sandwich soon!