Saturday, March 30, 2013

Sometimes, things do simply break

Image: http://www.breadmakermachine-reviews.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/sunbeam-5891.jpg

Pictured is the same model of Sunbeam bread maker that I got off of Freecycle almost 2 years ago, I think, just as I was eyeballing purchasing the identical model ON SALE for $69.99 at Kohl's. I jumped at the opportunity to grab it off of Freecycle for free! It was barely used, too. It had served us well, weekly at a minimum but has been making a horrific noise for sometime now. I knew that it was dying, which it finally did, last night as I was making 2 batches of pizza dough, in 2 separate machines.

As luck would have it, I recently scored a brand new, Breadman Ultimate at Salvation Army.(http://ctonabudget.blogspot.com/2013/03/salvation-army.html)  While I did have to pay for that one, it was even cheaper than the $70 sale price above, at $29.99. So, I will offer the bread bucket on Freecycle, recycle the machine parts and move on. Had I spent $70, I would be feeling pretty bummed out right now.

7 comments:

Belinda said...

How great that you got almost two years out of the Freecycle bread machine. Glad you were able to find another one at the Salvation Army. And what great timing!

CTMOM said...

Belinda, I believe strongly that I have an angel watching over me. Great timing at a price I can afford!

DW said...

A few years ago, the paddle on my machine started flaking off the non-stick coating ... yuck.
Found another almost new machine at Goodwill with a same-size paddle. So I have a replacement when my machine finally bites the dust.

Marcia in rural WNY said...

I have bought a paddle only for one of my older machines. I think it was a toastmaster. It wasn't that cheap but the machine did last quite a while longer.

CTMOM said...

I suspect it was the belt or some other internal part that died. Horrible cranking noise whenever it was kneeding dough. Since I got it free, it's not worth invesing into a repair, that may/not work.

Nancy said...

When my bread machine died several years ago I decided not to replace it. Instead I use the dough hook on my KA mixer to mix and knead the bread dough and go old school on rising (in a covered greased bowl) and baking.

CTMOM said...

Nancy, I would if I could, do as you have, and I do have a KA mixer. With my hand arthritis, it's just not an option. 2 surgeries and requiring a third on my dominant hand, 2 surgeries required on the left. I wear special splints all day, removing them at night, while cooking for hygenic purposes. I'm in a holding pattern at the moment. Was considering getting my right hand done again this May, but shoulder issue is taking priority.