Saturday, March 9, 2013

Reviewing electricity charges

Image: http://planetoverhaul.com/wp-content/plugins/2012/01/electricity-costs.jpg

I've been here almost 7 months now, bills are mostly regulating themselves. One area that I made a direct effort to reduce, was the electric bill. My budget billing was $267 at my former home.

My bill to date:
Aug- Sept (only 3 weeks)-$99.94
Sept-Oct-$149.91
Oct-Nov-$155.29-yikes! I pulled out all the stops: using smaller appliances vs the oven, precooking parts of meals to later be reheated in the microwave, air drying clothes, etc.
Then I had an energy audit done, replacing approx 1/2 of the light bulbs with CFL's (the other 1/2 already had them), programmable thermostats installed, weatherization, etc:
Nov-Dec-$101.58
Dec-Jan-$111.46 (includes the Xmas tree with LED lights)
Jan-Feb-$91.92
Feb-Mar-$92.96

So, I'm calling this $100/month. Very do-able.

2 comments:

Belinda said...

It's so good to know that when you work hard to do something (reduce your electric bill)to see your efforts rewarded like this. You've done a great job...looks like $100.00 is very do-able. :)

CTMOM said...

Thanks, Belinda. Very happy with the electric bill. Oil bill is another issue . . but I am working on that!