Saturday, March 2, 2013

Make a list and check it twice!

I started this morning with the grocery list on the fridge; we write down the item whenever we take the last one, so as to not run out, be able to plan ahead. Once a week, I also check the produce bins, as well as the monthly calendar of dinner menus to make sure that I will have all that I need for the upcoming week. I also add some wants. A small list of needs was developed.

On my "to-do" list today was to take an inventory of my cupboards, refrigerator,bar fridge (where I store extras), the upright deep freezer, the pantry shelves. Items were consolidated, some moved to different locations, some I took the last of (deciding it wouldn't be purchased again, such as the mini marshmallows for cocoa. We can do without).  I restocked the kitchen canned goods cupboard.

The inventory of the freezer told me several things:

-while I have many packages of ground meat, for example, the pkgs are now 1/2 the quantity that they used to hold, done intentionally as I am cutting back on meat in recipes
-I have a lot more fzn, organic CSA produce on hand than I realized. Need to make a concerted effort to eat that down, esp. as we now belong to another CSA, scheduled to start up in June
-I don't have a lot of chicken, turkey or pork. I'll watch for sales
-I have several quarts of poultry stock
-I had chopped leeks and chopped scallions in the freezer. Perfect, as I am down to one onion, and I use alot of onions
-I do not need to purchase organic chard as I have 4 bags in the freezer, saving me some expense this week
-I need to bake with pumpkin puree, cranberries, shredded zucchini this upcoming month
-there will be a lot of kale, mustard greens, turnip greens, kohlrabi greens appearing on our menus
-after eating some overstock down, I'll have room to make some trays of lasagna for the freezer


The canned/dried goods inventory told me:
-I am very low on tuna (it's Lent afterall). I only have 3 cans of albacore, no chunk lite
-while I have plenty of dried beans mostly stored in glass, gallon jars, I still have a few cans of beans as well. Great come Summer
-I do not need to buy tomatoes, green beans, corn or beets for some time to come

No comments: