Sunday, March 17, 2013

Baking treats on a budget



Making these this afternoon, for the kids:


http://allrecipes.com/recipe/magic-cookie-bars-from-eagle-brand/

Ingredient cost:
1 sleeve or 1/3 of a box of generic graham crackers I bought on marked down: 25 cents
1 stick or 1/4 Lb margarine: 25 cents
can of sweetened condensed milk also on marked down $1.09 (subsequently learned that Aldi's sells this @ 89 cents)
2 cups or 1 bag chocolate chips $1.29
1 1/3 cups or approx 1/2 bag coconut 60 cents
1 cup pecans: free

$3.48 to make these rich, dessert bars. Considering that most 12 count pkgs of cookies go for $4 easily, I think I did OK, making a 9 x 12 ish baking pan of these.

1 comment:

Marcia in rural WNY said...

I mostly use canola oil, and I use it in my baking, too--sometimes half and half with butter for flavor. I find that even with only the two of us in the household, it pays to buy the oil by the gallon---considerable savings, and it doesn't take all that long to use it up. I saved an old bottle which is smaller and use a funnel to refill it. I try to buy larger quantities when it pays to do so--vinegar isn't expensive, but I do use a lot of it, so it comes by the gallon also. And I think Aldi's tortilla chips (we like multigrain) are about the best bargain around, and superior to others I have tried!