Sunday, February 24, 2013

Sunday supper: meatballs in gravy




Meatballs in onion-mushroom brown gravy over rice, mixed green and waxed beans, salad.





I mixed up a double batch of meatballs, using the bread ends out of the freezer (whirled it thru the food processor first), eggs, dry milk, water, Worcestershire sauce, black pepper, dried minced onion. I made a tray of 29 meatballs. I baked them in the oven @ 350 for 40 minutes.


Meanwhile, I started my gravy.

 I started by sauteeing a large, chopped onion along with 3 large mushrooms, sliced. I removed these into a bowl, then melted 8 Tbsp of fat (pork fat and margarine)
 I whisked in 8 Tbsp of all purpose flour, black pepper and let this roux cook out a bit.
 I then added some of the boxed beef stock, and whisked it in.
 I added the rest of the stock (4 cups worth or one aeseptic box) and noted that the color needed some help. Gravy master to the rescue!
 Much better. I adjusted the seasonings by adding additional black pepper and onion powder. Perfect.
 Half of the meatballs and the cooked onions and mushrooms were folded gently into the gravy. It is now simmering on low in a covered, Dutch oven.


The remaining 12 meatballs are frozen for a future meal.

Supper!


4 comments:

j udy said...

you had me until the mushrooms..I guess its that deathly allergic thing. Looks good thoug

~Carla~ said...

That looks soo good!! I miss gravy and whatnot... it's hard because I can't have so many different things, but that looks hearty & filling! :)

CTMOM said...

I haven't made this in some time. Good for something different. Soft for wisdom tooth extraction kid.

CTMOM said...
This comment has been removed by the author.