Friday, February 1, 2013

Reclaiming my fridge and avoiding food waste



Clearing out the fridge . . 



 I started supper by placing 50-50 sesame oil-canola oil in a large, cast iron skillet and sauteeing off the rest of 1/2 an onion, 2 old carrots peeled and cut on the bias, 2 old stalks celery cut on the bias, a handful of frozen organic CSA red and green pepper strips
 Cook until al dente
 I then added (all leftovers): green beans, wax beans, corn, brussel sprouts in butter sauce which I cut into quarters, chic peas
 Once heated through, I topped this with a few handfuls of organic baby spinach.
 I then added some lite soy sauce, a bowl of intentionally prepared ahead as extra, cooked, white rice. Blend in and heat through
 In the former rice bowl,  I beat 2 eggs
 I made a well and scrambled the eggs, finally folding the cooked eggs into the rest of my dish


Supper! alongside a piping hot pot of tea!

2 comments:

Belinda said...

Looks delicious and so healthy. That would definitely be a winner here! :)

Marcia in rural WNY said...

I often do a stir fry/fried rice dish to use up leftovers as well, although I do normally use meat, as DH is definitely a meat eater. It isn't always a LOT of meat, however! It's a great way to use up bits and pieces, although I usually add some shredded cabbage, as I think it adds a lot of body to the dish, and I LOVE cabbage. I used to occasionally buy Create-A-Meal frozen mixtures when I was still working, as it made a fast and easy meal, but now that I'm retired, it is considered "too expensive" unless there is a big sale. Actually, I don't even see the product in my store anymore, although Aldi's has a large stir fry veggie mix which I have used. It's enough for two meals for us, however. I keep a bottle of Moo Shu sauce in the fridge, as there is never enough sauce for two meals in Aldi's package.