Saturday, January 26, 2013

Resisting temptation

 
Up and out early, hitting the road by 7 a.m. for a 7:30 mammogram and ultrasound appointment in the city south of here instead of the usual city, located to the North. Roads were treated after the sugar frosting of snow we received last, leaving side streets a bit slick. I arrived just a few minutes late, but so did everyone else. No issues. Appointment taken care of. Now I wait to hear back from the MD's on Monday.

Meanwhile, I was getting hungry, having only a cup of OJ before heading out the door. I contemplated stopping at McD's for a $1 coffee (would this particular franchise even offer that promotion that I heard about on the radio?). Decided against that. I don't eat McMuffin type sandwiches so it really was the coffee calling me.

Next temptation was approaching the area where the local Greek diner is. Hmmm . . bfst for one at the counter, that could work. Wait . . it'll probably be $10 out the door. No, just keep driving, which I did.

I set up and started the stove top percolator, then sliced and toasted homemade oatmeal bread which was later buttered and topped with blackberry ham(need to make more today), finally scrambled 2 eggs. Done within 10 minutes.

It wasn't easy, but I did it.

5 comments:

Blissfulbutterfly said...

Oh, I know what you mean by the temptation. If I can help it, I always try to eat before going out anywhere, but I'm constantly tempted to eat while out and about, especially if I smell food. It's one of my weaknesses, but my will power is getting better due to money that needs to be saved and more important things that need to be taken care of in the back of my mind.

Belinda said...

LOL, I have these same conversations in my head about grabbing something on the go when I am out and about. You're right, it's not always easy. Great when you are able to resist though. :)

Lili said...

I had a similar moment Friday morning. I didn't eat anything before driving the one hour round-trip to my two daughters' school. I was getting pretty hungry and as was passing McDs I thought, "hmmm, I could just stop in on the way home and grab a bite". But then I remembered my resolve to eat healthier as well as save money, and good sense won out.

When I got home I finished off the oatmeal that I'd made for the family. I know my tummy felt better for it, and the savings is always helpful.

If I were to stop and eat out, I think I'd want a better meal, and more value for my money spent.

Marcia in rural WNY said...

Breakfast out isn't much of a temptation for me, although we do occasionally get a McMuffin w/sausage and egg when we're traveling---but then we'd be eating out anyhow!

Having the low salt, low fat dietary restrictions does save a lot of money....even with my homemade pizza, I taste salt and drink a lot of water for the rest of the evening. It's the Prego sauce I use--sometimes supplement it with extra plain tomato puree, even though I use the Heart Smart Prego, which is lower in sodium. When you're used to no salt, you really can taste it when you use something canned or jarred. In general, we reserve eating out to one night a week for the same reason. Good thing I enjoy cooking to begin with---some of our retired friends eat out most days of the week. We would get tired of that quickly--and sometimes do when on vacation. Towards the end of the trip, we are seeking out the local diner for more "ordinary" food.

Connie Baum said...

You made the right choice, Carol. It shows your maturity and your commitment to frugality! No regrets for you!