Thursday, January 24, 2013

Now it's wait and see

Got this idea from a blog reader, in an effort to address my cold kitchen cabinets (especially the open shelf, corner cabinet next to the window. My supplies on hand: repurposed/salvaged bubble wrap, scissors, white duct tape. No additional expenditure.

 I put the bubble wrap, smooth side down against the inner walls of the cabinets that are placed against the exterior wall of the kitchen. I had to fold the top into a triangle of sorts (if I was sewing, I would have cut a V knotch or slit but I didn't want to break the plastic and somehow compromise it)before taping it down. I taped all sides against the cabinet, to stop any air infiltration. After only doing the top shelf of the corner open shelf cabinet, I perceived a difference. Wishful thinking? high hopes? Not sure. My glass jars in that cabinet were all very cold to the touch, like I had them outside in this fridgid Winter air (we're supposed to drop to zero F again tonight)
 The lower cabinet of the open, corner cabinet

These last 2 pictures are of the 2 upper, double door dish cabinets to the left of the corner cabinet. The ceiling slopes down on this side a bit.  I also did the upper unit of the cabinet to the right of the sink.(no picture)

 When handyman was here today to fix the fallen plastic off of the outside of the kitchen sink window, I asked him again about these cabinets and what he thought it was, what I could do. He had actually looked at the energy audit photos and said that the cold air is dropping down from the underinsulated attic. Regardless of the leaks/drafts and poorly designed additions when added to the existing buiding (meaning that they didn't take into consideration how to best butt up the new walls to the existing walls and forget caulk and insulation!), if the attic and underneath the floors were reinsulated, I'd see a huge difference. I still await receipt of that audit report, which I will forward on to the landlord. His explaination makes sense to me.

This is a rental, and based on the number of different names associated with this address when I voted in November, the different names on junk mail that I have received, there is a high turnover here. There may be a variety of reasons, such as the last tenant became terminally ill and was hospitalized before the end, job transfer, home purchase, marriage. That said, it makes business sense to put some money into this place-whether to keep a good tenant or as a future selling point. New wood floors, new roof, new furnace, new water saver toilet (think that's code now anyway). That's all great.

According to my lease, if the LL decides to put the house on the market, I would get first refusal. Frankly, I am not interested. I know that it would be priced far out of my league, it needs alot of updates/energy conservation upgrades that I don't have the personal resources to address nor am I looking for a money pit.I don't want to become a LL either as this property has a small cottage next door. No thanks.

 For now, this place is suiting our needs, if I can just get a better grip on heating bills. I am doing everything I can think of to address this. I am curious to see if the contents in the corner cabinet are still freezing cold in the morning. I still plan on putting up an interior curtain on the open shelves of the corner cabinet, for some added protection against drafts and for decorative purposes.

2 comments:

Belinda said...

Great solution on the bubble wrap. I hope it helps and you see a difference in the morning. :)

Finn said...

You may need to reverse the bubble wrap. What I am wondering is if part of the (seeming) insulate quality might not be that the bubbles put an "air barrier" between the cold surface and the inside? The piece I'm using has the smaller bubbles, but seems to make a huge difference between having my feet on that vs. the uninsulated wood floor. Even more so than a rug or small quilt.