Saturday, January 26, 2013

More winterization going on

Today, I went to Home Depot for some supplies. I finally found dimable CFL's for the light over the kitchen table. I priced LED's after recently reading Frugal Queen's post, and as much as I love LED's, I can't stomach $15/bulb here in the USA. I also got more spray foam filler, more weather stripping (I attacked the large windows and 2 large double sliders in that side of the porch). I also bought some 80 inch long insulating curtain panels (vs buying thermal backed drapes which I can't find in a color I like nor a price I like). The length of these are perfect as there is baseboard heat below these windows. I am also thinking that when I move, I know that I can definately use these insulating panels again, where as a 5 set of 2 panels each drapes may/not get reused. This seems most practical. I like that there is a velco strip on one panel, to hold the 2 insulated panels closed. They are white, so asthetics aren't an issue.

6 comments:

alaskadreamin said...

We bought our LED lights from Costco. They come in a pkg of 5 for just under $18. FYI.
Maybe a friend can pick some up for you. We love ours. A couple of weeks ago I was reading online about bubble wrap on windows for insulation. I thought it was such a clever idea. Hope it all works out for you.

Belinda said...

I've not heard of the insulating curtain panels. Are they an item that goes behind your regular curtain or are they curtains themselves? Sounds interesting and something I would be interested in in the window that houses our window ACs.

CTMOM said...

Alaska

I do have a friend who used to (perhaps still does) belong to Costco. I can ask her to price them out for me. $3/bub I can handle, just not $15! All of my CFL's are coming with me when I move out. Many bulbs were missing when I moved in, and the energy audit techs gave me my old bulbs back when they switched out to CFL's so that is what will be left behind.

CTMOM said...

Belinda
These are insulating panels that can go on either a regular curtain rod (there is a straight seamed opening for the rod) OR you can use the string (pretty sturdy) loops on the back side to attach drapery hooks OR you can simply pin these to the backside of existing curtains. For now, I am using them as is, and slowly I will finish the white curtains I started making out of former sheets. My focus is on making this home more comfortable, energy efficient

Belinda said...

Sounds interesting, Carol. i had never heard of them until you mentioned them. I will have to look into them for our window ac windows.

CTMOM said...

Belinda
Here's a link:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/202377726/5yc1v?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=solaris&storeId=10051&N=5yc1v&R=202377726