Monday, January 21, 2013

Getting every bit

Last night's roasted half of a chicken yielded dinner for 3, a quart sized baggie of meat off of the bones, and after boiling the carcass and skin along with the pan drippings, a quart of free chicken stock. I also managed to pick a bit more off of the bones, perhaps 1/3-1/4 cup's worth but it's now safely stored with the other cooked meat. We are currently eating a turkey mini meatball soup I made this weekend, after which, I am guessing chicken noodle will be on the menu.

3 comments:

j udy said...

I agree this is not the economy to waste anything that can be used again. You just have to get more creative and you are one of the most creative cooks I know.

CTMOM said...

Thank you, Judy. I am blessed to have come from a long line of thrifty, creative cooks, including my great-grandmother who showed me how to make a meal when there appeared to be hardly anything, yet still be able to feed the masses. : ) Compared to most, I have a low food budget, yet we do eat well.

Precious said...

Yum! This is one of my favorite things to do with chickens and turkeys. Love soup!