Monday, January 21, 2013

Divide and conquer project

 I have a huge living room with ubber tall cathedral ceilings, no signs of insulation, it's drafty as well. This is a room of multiple doorways and former window openings left simply as "openings"-great in Summer, not so great come Winter. I have a handyman service coming tomorrow and one of the tasks for him is to install curtain hardware so that I can get some more permanent coverings for the 1 large window opening, 2 large window opening combined as a doorway entrance into the office. The remaining doorways: one already has a set of louvered doors covering it (near front hall entry), and the final one that leads onto the dining room has a spring tension rod, for which I will fashion a curtain of some sort. I previously bought multiple sets of woven curtains at Christmas tree shop but found them to be too yellow in tone and couldn't rationalize the expense. What I'd really like are lined panels, which tend to only be 42 inches wide. With 6 foot or more wide openings, this is an issue. What you see above is an older, going to be sacrificed to the rag bin at the end of Winter anyway, Queen sized, flannel top sheet. The width of the opening is just covered, the length is too long.
 Here's the second doorway/window combo opening onto the office. Once again, a ready for the rag bin flannel top sheet is being used.
This is the "window" opening, now covered (barely-needs tweaking) by the coordinating bottom flannel sheet.  My thought is to cover these openings to at least stop drafts from blowing directly upon us. This is also the room where the woodstove is located.

I aim to use what I already have, having incurred the expense of curtain hardware, turning to these older, flannel sheets that I was going to give up anyways. I still will have 2 flannel sets (one in good condition, one like new). I figure that the pieces of fabric that will need to be cut away off of the top  or flat sheets can somehow be pieced/sewn together to provide the material needed to fully cover the window opening, pictured above. Can't see it, but there is a corner, behind the TV that is not covered completely. I had already trimmed off the elastic that goes all around this bottom sheet.

So ugly as one cranky teen commented? Perhaps, but I am doing what i can to make this place more comfortable with as little expenditure as possible.

Thoughts? suggestions?

6 comments:

j udy said...

When we were little and my mom could in no way afford the lined curtains she purchased vinyl table clothes and then sewed flannel or fleece or whatever she had on the back. But the best was wool blankets my grandmom gave her. She sewed the plastic table clothes to the wool blankets and then hung the plastic side out. It wasn't perfect but it blocked the draft in our home and she said most of the tableclothes werent to bad

missy said...

My mom has this problem in her big brick ranch house. We installed the curtain hardware on both side of the big open doorway which lead from living room to dining room. We hung thermal lined curtained on both sides of the door. So four 96 long inch curtains in all at a price of $10.00 each bought at Wal-Mart. We also installed really nice curtain tie back so mom can just "swag" them open when need be during the winter and opened all times during the summer. They look really nice.
Mom said when she was a kid they just hung quilts over the doorways and windows.

Lili said...

I've sewn my own lined draperies before. When we bought our house there was one large sliding glass door (about 7 feet wide, by 7 feet high) that didn't have drapes. This is a bedroom window/door, so i definitely wanted something. I priced draperies and couldn't afford them at the time. So I sewed my own lined drapes, plain beige sheets as the side that faced the room, and regular insulating liner fabric underneath. Fortunately the hardware was already there.

It wasn't super cheap, I think these drapes cost about $100 to do, with enough fabric leftover to do 2 lined panels, one for a double-hung window on the opposite wall, and another for a window in another room. Had I known how to measure for the fabric, I could have bought less yardage of the lining fabric, and saved some money.

Belinda said...

I would not worry about ugly, as one of your teens commented. I've nailed thick blankets up over windows before to keep the cold out. It is serving a purpose. It works well and come summer time you can always remove them. :)

Marcia in rural WNY said...

I'm not too annoyed with ugly if it means warm. Which is more important to the kiddo? We used to hang quilts too--as we had a supply of them and they are thick and keep the drafts away. I am in awe of your money saving efforts to keep the heat in. I do have mini-blinds on most of my windows, which help keep cold air out also, but that doesn't stop us from adding plastic inside too. First thing we did to this house when we bought it 34 years ago was add custom storm windows, insulate the attic, and the second year, insulate the walls. Have used tubes and tubes of caulk since then, also. Put vinyl siding on eventually---it all helps but it's not possible to do it all at once.

CTMOM said...

LOL! Marcia, I am dealing with cranky teen boy. ; ) So, the end result will be less than beautiful in his eyes. I am looking for creature comfort and low/no cost to do so, as a means to lower my oil bills